Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The cost of selling on Ebay now

The cost of selling on Ebay now

I have been a member of ebay for over 10 years now. I don’t buy or sell on there as much as I used to. For a few years, I had an active online comic book selling account. It was very good to me at the time.

Anyways, I have tried selling again on ebay and am watching how much it costs me to sell items. Yes, you can look at the fee charts and there are many of them available online, but it seems different when you actually sell something. Not including the time, effort, and materials to send something out, it cost me about 14% rounded up.

I sold an item for $24.98 and the ebay final value fee was $2.25 and the paypal fee was $1.02. I am aware of other ways to sell stuff like on craigslist, but I don’t feel comfortable with face to face transactions. I have sold over 2,000 items on ebay and most transactions go smoothly, but every so often you do wind up dealing with nuts or crazies. It’s all a numbers game so eventually you will have to deal with them, but why do it in person.

I still like Ebay but it seems like the amount of money you make now is so much less than it was 7 years ago. On top of that, the cost of postage seems to have doubled. I remember sending out priority mail boxes for $3.95 back then, while the last one I sent out yesterday cost almost $6 priority mail. I offered free shipping on my item so I ate the cost.

The numbers work out like this:
$25.00 (rounded up for simplicity)
-$2.25 fvf
-$1.02 paypal fees
-$6.00 postage (rounded up)
$15.63 net


I still have a big inventory of comics and will see how much I can sell on ebay. The new thing I do like is they give you 50 free auction listings and no longer nickel and dime you if your item doesn’t sell. Back then I would relist a lot since I didn’t sell everything all the time. I would wind up paying between 50 cents to a dollar for each item I didn’t sell. Back then I would guess about 100 items a month would not sell. I was selling enough that i was always ahead of the curve, but it’s cool that those listing fees are now gone for the first 50 auctions.



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin | Settlement Statement | WordPress Tutorials



Anna Kournikova
Hayden Panettiere
Cameron Diaz

No comments:

Post a Comment